The Tempest was the first suite that I wrote while travelling. It was a particularly grim day in Switzerland, lots of wind, grey skies and a promise of rain. The beginning of the tune is meant to mimic the build up of wind before a storm and so I deliberately kept the rudiments to a minimum! As the storm builds so does the tune and finally it blows away.
This tune was the first time I experienced the frustrations of not having anybody to play the music I was writing. The tunes needs a minimum of 2 pipers and playing to your recordings on your phone hardly ever does justice to harmonies. When I started tutoring at St Benedict’s College I finally had the opportunity to hear my tune as I had envisioned it! It felt great to have something I composed played on stage but it still wasn’t where I wanted it to be. Again, frustration. So I shelved it for several years and finally, this year I decided to take matters into my own hands again!
This final recording has come about as a result of several different programs and a lot of planning! The drum score I wrote using Celtic Pipes, which is a fantastic piece of software and I would recommend it to anybody who composes music for Celtic instruments. Secondly the wind effects came from ZapSplat.com which provides free sound effects, some are available for commercial use and others only for private use. WavePad is my go to sound editing software, if you can’t afford the program it does allow you to use if for non-commercial use for free. It has been a gem with regard to editing and mixing tracks. Lastly, I splurged a little and bought a Zoom sound recorder. Best buy ever.
As always, you can find the scores on my sheet music page!